Monday 7 November 2016

Normal, Every Day Cycling - Day 1

It was cold this morning, winter is well on the way now, so I was wearing a good jumper and a coat and gloves today. And as Monday is game night, I've not normally got time to cook much so today I took this bike to pick up pizza on the way home - the flat basket really helps for things like that. Didn't need a rucksack, could load pannier bag up with work laptop.

Ride in was uneventful, other than that there seems to have been something happening on Milton Road somewhere - cars were queuing all the way along it and on Arbury Road too, so I found myself filtering past traffic most of the way. I also hit the 9 o'clock lecture rush when I got to the city centre, which means the commuter-peloton with hundreds of other bikes. Hair raising stuff until you're used to it. 

The bus from home goes a different route to the way I ride, but I was talking to a chap who commutes that way later on and apparently it took him three quarters of an hour to get to work. It took me less than 20 minutes through horrible traffic, and I consider that rather slow for my normal 3 mile trip.

Stopped off at the supermarket on the way home for pizza. The most eventful thing that happened to me on the road today was a pedestrian sprinting out across in front of me as the lights changed while loudly apologising - I suppose she must have been in a heck of a hurry.

And thats it for today. Looking at the traffic, its fairly obvious to me that my bike riding made up less of my day and contributed less to my stress levels than all the folk stuck in lines of cars! More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment